Wolves now suffer ‘massive blow’ over £50k-a-week star at Molineux

Wolverhampton Wanderers have suffered a ‘massive’ blow after Pedro Neto has been forced onto the sidelines and the talisman’s absence will not be ideal for the next Molineux boss, according to journalist Dean Jones.

The Portuguese star joined the West Midlands outfit from Braga three years ago and, while he would have been looking to make a lasting impression on the club’s incoming manager, that opportunity has been taken away from him.

GiveMeSport The Verdict

What’s the latest news involving Neto?

Neto was forced off inside the opening 24 minutes of Wolves’ 2-0 defeat to West Ham United earlier this month.

That proved to be Bruno Lage’s final match at the helm, as he was sacked less than 24 hours later, and the Premier League encounter also had dire consequences for Neto.

Wolves have confirmed that the 22-year-old strained the lateral ligaments in his ankle and, following the need for him to undergo surgery, will miss the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.

Neto, whose £50,000-per-week contract is not due to expire until the summer of 2027, only returned from a long-term injury earlier this year.

Having fractured his patella in April 2021, he did not make another Premier League appearance for 10 months.

Read more: Premier League 22/23 Game week 11: Fixtures, predictions, odds, table & everything you need to know

What has Dean Jones said about Neto?

Jones believes Neto’s latest setback is of major concern for Wolves as they look to climb out of the Premier League’s relegation zone.

The journalist feels being unable to call upon the former Lazio man, who has made 101 appearances for Wolves, will be a worry for whoever succeeds Lage in the dugout.

When asked about the severity of the wide-man’s lay-off, Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “Missing someone like Pedro Neto is massive.

“When you come into a club, especially, you just want the gamechangers to be available to you. Not having Pedro Neto is obviously something that’s not ideal.”

Are Wolves close to appointing a new manager?

Julen Lopetegui emerged as the Wolves hierarchy’s top target following Lage’s dismissal, but the former Sevilla chief will not be heading to Molineux.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has revealed Lopetegui, who held discussions with chairman Jeff Shi, turned down the job for family reasons.

It is understood that Pedro Martins, who is currently out of work having turned down Championship side Hull City recently, is back in the frame.

Academy coaches Steve Davis and James Collins were in charge for the 3-0 defeat at Chelsea last weekend and it is becoming increasingly likely that they will still be in the dugout when Nottingham Forest visit Molineux on Saturday.

You can find all of the latest football news and rumours right here

News Now – Sport News



Source link