Manchester United will not enter the market for more attacking players this month after the signing of Wout Weghorst, Sky Sports journalist Dharmesh Sheth has told GiveMeSport.
The Red Devils have already brought in Jack Butland between the sticks, while Dutch forward Weghorst completed his loan move to Old Trafford last week.
Manchester United – latest transfer news
Manchester United have been linked with several targets in January. However, Butland and Weghorst have been the only two players whom the Old Trafford club have publicly firmed up their interest to the next level so far in the market.
England stopper Butland was brought into the club earlier this month as a backup to David De Gea and is available for selection, while Weghorst could be available to make his debut against Crystal Palace on Wednesday night.
Prior to the addition of Weghorst, Joao Felix was also touted for a switch to Manchester from Atletico Madrid earlier this month by The Mirror, though he has instead joined Chelsea on loan for the rest of 2022/23.
Despite the interest in the Portugal international, who is of a very different profile to Weghorst, Sheth doesn’t believe that United will look to sign somebody else like Felix in the final two weeks of the window.
What did Sheth say?
Sky Sports journalist Sheth states ‘from the information’ he has received, it looks as if Manchester United may have secured their main targets this window and Weghorst will be the only attacker added to Erik Ten Hag’s squad.
Sheth told GMS: “The information I’m getting is it looks like it’s Weghorst and that will be the striking option sorted for this month.
“At the start of the window, the priorities were a goalkeeper and a forward. They have brought in Jack Butland already from Crystal Palace and they’ve got Weghorst from Burnley.”
Do Manchester United need to make more additions?
There are pros and cons to the possibility of Manchester United potentially bringing in more players this month, as Ten Hag seeks to bring Champions League football back to Old Trafford by finishing in the top four.
On the one hand, the Red Devils did lose key player Cristiano Ronaldo before the World Cup break and have relied heavily on the likes of Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Antony to provide an offensive threat.
Capped 19 times at international level for the Netherlands, Weghorst will add a natural focal point for United in the short term as well as physicality and ability to hold the ball up for his teammates. Nevertheless, it seems unlikely he will have anywhere near the sphere of influence that Ronaldo once had on the field.
Conversely, too many cooks may spoil the broth. Acquiring an abundance of game-changing forwards doesn’t always work, while failure to give regular game-time to up-and-coming stars such as Alejandro Garnacho could halt the progress of Ten Hag’s future vision.
Considering the fact the club has been officially up for sale since November, as reported by The Mirror, it wouldn’t be astounding if there was no permanent business at Manchester United in January.
News Now – Sport News
About Author
You may also like
-
Michael Carrick opens up on Manchester United future
-
What Happens If Arsenal and Man City Finish on the Same Points
-
Kompany targets Osimhen as Kane successor, but Man United and PSG not keen
-
Christian Falk reveals Bayern Munich stance on Michael Olise amid Liverpool interest
-
Guessand Needs Five More G/A for Permanent Move