Arsenal are working on transfers for attacking targets this summer but must first off-load players from the first team, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.
Mikel Arteta has enjoyed a productive summer transfer window but could still add to his squad before the September 1 deadline passes.
What is the latest news from Arsenal?
The Gunners have brought in five new faces this summer as Arteta looks to challenge for a place in the Champions League, with Gabriel Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Fabio Vieira among those to move to the Emirates.
But it seems there are positions still to be strengthened. Earlier this summer, Arsenal lost out in the race to sign Leeds winger Raphinha, with Barcelona beating both them and Chelsea to the Brazilian.
It showed that further attacking recruits are still desired in north London, however. PSV Eindhoven winger Cody Gakpo remains on the club’s radar with the Dutch side demanding £33.5 million for the 23-year-old’s signature.
But while the exciting attacker may be a target, according to Romano, Arsenal must prioritise moving players on to clear space on their wage bill and free up funds.
What has Romano said on Arsenal’s situation?
The transfer guru understands that the Gunners are working on deals for several different attacking targets ahead of the deadline.
But he also added that first the club needs to prioritise moving on the raft of out-of-favour players currently a part of Arteta’s first team.
When asked about potential attacking recruits, Romano told GIVEMESPORT: “At the moment, it is not something close and more than a mystery. I will say that they are working on many names but at the same point now, for Arsenal, it is really important to complete the outgoings.”
Who could leave the Emirates before the deadline?
Five first-team stars have already left the club this summer including Matteo Guendouzi, Bernd Leno, Konstantinos Mavropanos and Alexandre Lacazette. Nuno Tavares has left for Marseille on a season-long loan.
Still there remains plenty of work to do. Lucas Torreira is close to agreeing a permanent switch to Galatasaray, but the likes of Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Hector Bellerin remain unwanted and seemingly out of Arteta’s plans.
Nicolas Pepe is likely one of the priorities to move on at the Emirates. The Ivory Coast international signed for a club-record £72 million three years ago and has consistently underwhelmed. Newcastle and Leeds have both been linked with the 25-year-old.
News Now – Sport News