By Rune Gjerulff @runegjerulff
Xabi Alonso has confirmed that Florian Wirtz is a candidate for the starting line-up after recovering from a long-term injury.

Florian Wirtz is once again a starting candidate for Bayer Leverkusen, having fully recovered from a cruciate ligament rupture.
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s Bundesliga clash with Gladbach, Leverkusen coach Xabi Alonso confirmed that the 19-year-old is fit enough for the starting line-up.
“We will see, but he is fit to play from the start,” Alonso told reporters.
“‘Flo’ has improved our game between the lines, we have more opportunities. But we still have to play good football as a team to be successful.
“We need all the players, not just Florian.”
Jeremie Frimpong was passed fit too, while Patrik Schick and Charles Aranguiz remain sidelined, but are “on a good way,” according to Alonso.
“They have returned on the pitch, running and working individually with the ball. We have to be patient, but in the last week they have developed well,” said Alonso.
More about the match
More about the teams
More about Florian Wirtz
About Author
You may also like
-
Agent speaks on Süle’s future, Dortmund close to extending Brandt’s contract
-
Agent speaks on Süle’s future, Dortmund close to extending Brandt’s contract
-
Confirmed Women’s World Cup Qualifiers Lineups: Germany vs. Slovenia
-
DFL introduce new U-21 competition for Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga sides starting in 2026-27
-
Uncertainty remains over Neuer’s fitness ahead of Bayern’s clash with Gladbach