
Manchester United’s need for a new striker only became ‘more obvious’ thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s underwhelming display against Newcastle United at Old Trafford, according to journalist Dean Jones.
Erik ten Hag was handed more than £200 million to strengthen his squad in the summer transfer window but further investment could be needed in January.
What is the latest on United’s strikers?
Ronaldo – who returned to the club from Juventus in the summer of 2021 – was handed just his second start of the Premier League season on Sunday for the visit of Newcastle but could not break the deadlock in the 0-0 draw.
The £480,000 per-week star was drafted in after Anthony Martial injured his back against Everton in their previous outing, leaving Ten Hag with a lack of options.
The Frenchman had been replaced by Ronaldo at Goodison Park, with the 37-year-old going on to find the back of the net, but it was just his second goal in all competitions for the campaign.
Ten Hag confirmed that Martial would remain side-lined for the midweek visit of Tottenham and, with Ronaldo previously informing the club of his desire to leave, the need for striking reinforcements is obvious.
What has Jones said on the situation?
Jones feels that Ronaldo’s latest display hammered home just how much the club are in need of a new leading man when the transfer window reopens.
The journalist says that, if Martial cannot remain fit, then the need becomes all the more pressing.
When asked whether Ronaldo’s display against Newcastle helped solve Ten Hag’s problem, Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “If anything, it became more obvious. I think that they need to buy a new striker if Martial is going to be unable to remain fit for long periods of the season.”
Read more: Europa League 2022/23: Fixtures, Group Stage Draw, Dates, Schedule, Final, Teams and Everything We Know So Far
Who could United sign in January?
The Red Devils remain interested in signing PSV Eindhoven star Cody Gakpo moving forward after missing out on him in the summer.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo’s international teammate Rafael Leao is also emerging as a target, with United sending scouts to watch the AC Milan ace in action against Chelsea.
According to reports in Italy, Brentford striker Ivan Toney is being considered as a replacement if Ronaldo leaves the club in the January window, having scored an impressive eight goals in 10 Premier League outings this term.
You can find all the latest football news and rumours right here.
News Now – Sport News
About Author
You may also like
-
Michael Carrick opens up on Manchester United future
-
What Happens If Arsenal and Man City Finish on the Same Points
-
Kompany targets Osimhen as Kane successor, but Man United and PSG not keen
-
Christian Falk reveals Bayern Munich stance on Michael Olise amid Liverpool interest
-
Guessand Needs Five More G/A for Permanent Move