Edu and Arteta ‘hold internal talks’ after £80m blow at Emirates

Edu and Arteta ‘hold internal talks’ after £80m blow at Emirates

Edu and Arteta ‘hold internal talks’ after £80m blow at Emirates

Arsenal are ‘discussing internally’ their next steps in the transfer market after missing out on Mykhaylo Mudryk, Fabrizio Romano has told GiveMeSport.

The Gunners had tabled an offer to bring the Ukrainian forward to the Emirates Stadium, but Mikel Arteta’s side were beaten to his signature by London rivals Chelsea.

Arsenal transfer news – Mkyhaylo Mudryk

Last week, Arsenal were reported to be on the verge of signing Mudryk in deal worth up to £80m.

However, Chelsea quickly stole a march on the north London outfit by hijacking the deal, and formally announced Mudryk as a Blues player on Sunday.

As reported by The Athletic, it appears Chelsea won the race for the Ukrainian international because Shakhtar Donetsk believed the bonuses proposed by the Stamford Bridge side were more “achievable and realistic” than the terms offered by Arsenal, despite both proposals being hypothetically of equal value.

Arsenal are said to have made contact with Mudryk as early as October 2022 and the player made no secret of his desire to join the Gunners, with Romano even describing him as “obsessed” with joining Arteta’s side.

Now, however, Arsenal will need to look elsewhere if they’re to bolster Arteta’s squad for the rest of their shock title bid this season.

Read more: January Transfer Window 2023: When Does It Begin, Rumours and Everything You Need To Know

What has Fabrizio Romano said about Arsenal’s transfer plans?

Speaking to GiveMeSport, Romano revealed that Arsenal manager Arteta and sporting director Edu are ‘discussing internally’ who to target next after missing out on Mudryk.

He told GMS: “I think they are now discussing into the club. Edu and Arteta, from what I’m told, are discussing internally to make sure they find the right opportunity. They don’t want to negotiate for 50 players and then decide one – this is not Arsenal’s style. They will go for the right opportunity, the player they really want. This is how they work at Arsenal and so this will be the mission.”

Who could Arsenal target instead of Mudryk?

Arsenal have been linked with a few alternatives already, including Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby.

Sky Sports claim the Gunners have already made contact with the Bundesliga side, although they are reluctant to sell and have set an £88.5m price-tag for the summer transfer window.

Brighton’s want-away forward Leandro Trossard has reportedly been offered to the north London side, but it’s now being alleged that the Gunners won’t join the race for the Belgium international.

They’re said to have also enquired about Barcelona’s Raphinha, however he wants to stay at the Nou Camp, while team-mate Ferran Torres has been mentioned as an option as well, but he would also prefer to remain with the Spanish giants.

In short, obtainable alternatives to Mudryk are a little thin on the ground right now, but Arsenal’s bid for the now-Chelsea star shows they’re willing to put good money on the table for the right player.

If they can find one, we could yet see a big name arrive at the Emirates before the end of the month.

News Now – Sport News



Source link

About Author